Skip to main content

Jimmey Lee "Jim" Lampe dies at 82

Jimmey Lee "Jim" Lampe age 82 of Plainfield died Thursday, Jan. 19, 2017, at his home. Funeral services will be held 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2017, at the Hugeback-Johnson Funeral Home in New Hampton. Military Honors will be conducted by the New Hampton American Legion Post. Interment will take place at a later date. Friends may greet the family 4 to 7 p.m. Monday, Jan. 23, 2017, at the Hugeback-Johnson Funeral Home in New Hampton. Visitation continues an hour prior to the service at the funeral home on Tuesday. Online condolences for Jim's family may be left at hugebackfuneralhome.comJimmy Lee “Jim” Lampe was born May 8, 1934, in the Lampe home by the dry-run in Waverly, the son of Elmer H. and Alma (Homeyer) Lampe. The family moved to the Oran-Fairbank area where he attended country school until the 7th grade. He was then enrolled in Lutheran Parochial School in Fairbank his 7th and 8thgrade years. He was confirmed in 8th grade at the Fairbank Lutheran Missouri Synod Church. In 1948, the family moved to a farm by Frederika and lived there for seven years. The family later moved to a farm northeast of Sumner. Jim helped farm with his father and also worked at the Tripoli canning factory, Wilharm Produce and with Lampe Construction.  Jim entered the United States Army in February of 1956 and had his training at Camp Chaffe, AR, and Fort Carson, Colorado. While on leave in 1956, he came home and married Marian Drewis on July 8, 1956. To this union a daughter, Dixie was born. Following his leave, he was sent overseas to Stuttgart, Germany where he was in the 7th Infantry serving the border patrol on the Russian border during the cold war. He was glad that he was stationed in Germany as he was able to visit with his aunts, uncles and cousins. After receiving his honorable discharge, he returned home and again worked for Lampe construction, Roth construction from Storm lake and part-time for Moeller Construction. In 1959, he started farming northeast of Sumner and also worked part-time for Heyer Lumber Yard, Sumner. In 1963, the family moved to a farm south of New Hampton and lived there for 38 years until their homestead was taken by imminent domain for the highway 63 expansion. Jim enjoyed farming, going to tractor pulls and his beef cattle. He also did a lot of custom farming such as baling, windrowing oats and hay and also welding repairs for area farmers. He had sold seed corn and beans and loved having his black lab at his side. He loved time with his friends and had a special friend in Jim Eckenrod with whom he farmed with for 8 years. In 2001 he had a farm sale and moved to an acreage near Plainfield.Survivors include his wife, Marian; one daughter, Dixie Lee (Tom) Orthel of Milford; sister-in-law, Marlene (Jerry) Snelling of Tripoli; brother-in-law, Marvin (Trivona) Drewis of Waverly and many relatives and friends including those in Germany.  He was preceded in death by his parents, father and mother-in-law, Randy and Edna Drewis; brother-in-law, Martin Drewis; great-niece Brittany Lohmann; cousin, Barbara Blong; aunts and uncles.

Thank you for reading!

To read the full version of all available articles, you must be a subscriber to the New Hampton Tribune's website. To become a subscriber, please click here to be taken to our subscription page. If you already are a subscriber, please click here to login to the site and continue reading. Thank you.